Friday, March 24, 2017

The New Orange Line Cars’ Cool Features

“…and boom! There you have it. New cars for orange line.” I shouted as I stood up in front of the computer. “Yes!” I was so excited with the news. “Finally, we can see how they look like and what the new awesome features are.”

My friend Tom Rider, or T-Rider for short, came around walking slowly and sat down on the chair. He appeared to be reading from the screen and going over the pictures in mute mode.
“It's being built in Springfield and it will be operating next year,” I told him. “How do you like the MBTA now, uh? In your face baby!” I was pumped.

T-Rider continued silent while watching the MBTA high official showing and explaining the new features with pride.  Things like security cameras for passengers and for drivers, wider doors, platform gap protection, and so on. I came closer and stood behind him waiting for his reaction. I knew his weirdness and I wondered what he was thinking. I honestly doubted that he could suddenly jump as I did. That would be too much for him, but at least a reaction to the good use of taxpayers’ money that he always complains about. His silence was gradually confirming my feeling that I finally got him. But then I saw the reflection of his indifferent face on the screen and I couldn’t take it. I walked away, and I was about to slam that door.

“Timely announced uh,” he said as I grabbed the door knob. “Like those things to distract attention.
Do you know how old some of those cars are? Replacement has been long due. My neighbor is three months away from becoming a grandpa, and after he was born in Boston he was taken home on one those same cars that are still running.”
I couldn’t believe it. “So what?” I replied. “We are talking about the future here. We are going to have new cars with new features.”

“Is there really a new feature?” he said. “I don’t see much, beside cameras and more space for handicaps. It’s like they know that their growing customer segment are those who have difficulties in getting other options. Anyways, don’t get me started. What about Red Line?”

I was happy to show him the new Red Line car that will be operating in 2019. He was not impressed at all. Then, jokingly, I made some things up, and told him that Red Line cars had self-driving technology. Abruptly, he dropped on his knees, brought his hands together before his face and said, “Thank you God!”
I was lost.” What the heck just happened?” I asked.
“The other day my girlfriend was waiting for me, and as I ran down the station’s stairs, the Red Line driver, who was at the window, shut the car door on my face. Literally! It hurt so bad that, under my breath, I said some things to him. And now you just told me that it’s about to happen. That’s a cool feature!”

I didn’t see that coming. Really Weird!       


No comments:

Post a Comment