Saturday, April 22, 2017

Why kids can draw better cars for MBTA

For God’s sake! We are almost two decades into the 21st century. The MBTA management team could’ve done, and can do a better job on both design and technology. How costly can it be to open a contest for young people to draw a modern car or locomotive and then have engineers fit the mechanics into it?

"These things are really ugly, man! No signs of modernization!" My buddy T-Rider yelled from his desk when he saw the Green Line mock up car. He had the same reaction when he returned from city hall to see the one for the Orange Line. 
I always disagree him when he rants against the MBTA.


Every single time that this MBTA thing gets to his head, it is a nightmare. It’s like he keeps a diary of the times that he had issues with them. I think the worst one that I’ve heard was when his girlfriend dumped him for not showing up on time, and he said it was all MBTA's fault.
I try to help by telling him that we should be grateful for the service, but that is usually as far as I can go. He doesn’t miss a bit to stop me right away. And it is always the same way: “You don’t even dare to add reliable to it”. And indeed, I tend to say that because as far as I know, unless something beyond their control happens, there has been no report of people who left their homes to take the T who didn’t get to their destination. They may get there late, but they will make it.

There is always this weird discussion between us. For instance, he thinks that MBTA’s employees take their jobs for granted and they don’t care about the customers. I think that there are fine and zealous people working for the MBTA. Obviously, there are some bad apples, but where aren’t they? Even in churches! He thinks the administration of the agency doesn’t care either. He says there is no vision to improve or modernize the cars, buses or locomotives. I promptly disagree. Lately, my steady response has been pointing him to the new cars and locomotives that are being added throughout the next two years.

But even so he counter argues with the ugly looks of the cars, saying that the industrial revolution era is far behind us. He says the same about the old-fashioned engines and looks of the locomotives, hoping that they would be electric and modern. I don’t tell him this, and I try not to show any signs of weakness, but I got to give this one to him. 

This time, you, my dear MBTA, you are being weird. Please help us help you!   

No comments:

Post a Comment